Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Welcome to The Pagan Man

The other day my wife bought a new book for me, this book was titled "Sacred Paths for Modern Men" by Dagonet Dewr.

I had only gotten into the first few chapters of this book when I put it down and glanced over at my "Pagan" book shelf. I looked very hard through the 105+ books that I own for those books specifically for Pagan Men. What I came up with was three books; "The Pagan Man: Priests, Warriors, Hunters, and Drummers" by Isaac Bonewits, "Wicca Spellcraft for Men" by A.J. Drew, and the book I mentioned earlier.

All three of them are wonderful books and I fully suggest all of them. Especially the one by A.J. Drew as he is my favorite Pagan author for men at the moment. That and I have met him a few times at the Ohio and Kentucky Renaissance Fair and I have to say he is a great guy to talk to.

What got me thinking today is that I only have three books on the subject of Pagan men because that is all that I could find. I mean three books? Come on there has to be more then that right? Well I fired up FireFox and quickly went to www.Amazon.com to see what I could find. It seems I was wrong there are not just three books for Pagan men....there are actually four. It seems A.J. wrote another one titled "Wicca For Men: A Handbook for Male Pagans Seeking a Spiritual Path". Well, I guess that is a slight improvement over my last theory of only three books.

I decided that maybe I should do something. I once started to write a book about being a Pagan man and then stopped once Llewellyn and New Page both told me that it would not be a book of interest. You know what? I think they were wrong personally. I think more books for Pagan men would be a great idea. So even if I can not get them to publish me I will use www.LuLu.com to get myself published I suppose.

Either way, this blog is not about my adventures in writing a book for Pagan men. This blog is going to be my view on the modern Pagan society and my role in it as a male Pagan.

I hope someone finds this blog of some use and maybe some comfort when you think that your all alone being a Pagan man in a religion that seems to be 95% dominated and or occupied by women. Not that I don't like women, I am married for Lugh's sake, but I understand what it feels like to be a minority and then treated like its no big deal because I am still a white "privileged" man. All I have to say to that is "Yes, I am white, no I am not privileged....I'm middle class and unemployed."

-Blessed Be all,
Snow Wolf.

WolfOfTheSnow@GMail.com

2 comments:

Malgor said...

Good for you, and better for all us guys. For years I've been asking people why the Pagan Community is dominated by Goddess worship, when in many Pagan paths (and especially Wicca) there is supposed to be a duality of the sexes. I've been inundated with rituals surrounding a young woman's 1st moonblood but NOTHING on a young man's 1st shave, or whatever it is that lets boys move into manhood.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you followed me! I liked what Malgor said about no rituals for a young man's rites of passage. I have a 5 yo son and I have already wondered what I will do for him. My girls are pretty easy since there is so much. I hope you will be sharing about this sort of thing as time goes on.